I am going to post a devotion that I read yesterday that I want to note for Carrol. this truely speaks about things that he is feeling and going through at the time.
I worried for a long time as a new Christian that God might "call" me overseas to become a missionary. No, I was convinced God would send me to a country where I'd live in a mud hut infested with cockroaches ,where I'd wear little more than a breechcloth, and where my food- when I got some- would consist of little more the the roots that I dig up from the jungle. I kept picturing this scene where the cannibals I came to convert were dancing around in maniacal glee because they were going to eat me that night. I'd see myself stepping out to preach the gospel and immediatly, they'd hurl spears and fire arrows into my body. I'd fall down dead, a matyr for the faith. At that point, i'd imagine all the pastors in the U.S. telling my story and encouraging the faithful to be as "commited" as me. despite the imagined praise though, I was terrified God would actually send me to this place. I finally talked to my pastor about it and he asked me , Well, If God desides you don't have to be a missionary in a roach-infested, canniblaistic place, what would you do instead? "I'd be a minister and write books and novels for Christians to encourage them, I said. the pastor replied, well why doesn't God want you to do that now? I guess because that would be fun! he shook his head. "Its amazing how Christians think God wants them to do something they'd consider aweful. It's amazing how many think God's against fun.
Today I have to agree: why do we think God would never want us to do something we'd consider fulfilling, exciting, even fun? I guess it all goes back to our fallen nature. In truth God is not only pleased to see us having a ball working out "His will for our lives," but He has also promised to throw in joy, peace,love and everything else to make it even more satisfying.
No comments:
Post a Comment